Do NOT Fall for a Debt Collection Scam
Do NOT Fall for a Debt Collections Scam as others have…
Use the ways listed below to discern if it is a legitimate collection agency. Don’t be taken in by a scam.
- Typically a debt collector is not allowed to contact you before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m.
- They may never threaten with false tactics such as lawsuit or jail
- Debt collectors must notify the debtor of their rights to dispute the validity of the debt or the amount. This notice has to be sent within 5 days of the first communication. The debtor has 30 days to request verification of debt.
- A debt collector may not discuss or communicate with anyone other than the debtor n question or his/her attorney.
- The collection company must disclose its identity to the debtor in the initial communication.
- If the debtor disputes the debt within their 30 days after the initial communication, the collection agency must cease collection until it is verified
- Always be cautious when giving out personal information. This includes credit cards, bank accounts and especially Social Security numbers until you have verified the authenticity of the caller.
- Check out the Collection Agency’s website.
- Verify their Better Business Bureau Rating.
It is a wise practice to monitor your credit reports to make sure nothing is suspicious and it is in fact your debt. This should be done annually.
Keep in mind Debt Collection Agencies are NOT your enemy. They are advocates for recovering debts owed while protecting consumer rights.
MCA Collection Agency is a legitimate collection agency that handles each of our clients and their debtors with utmost respect. We are a family owned business that takes pride in our customer service. We are very proud of our A+Better Business Bureau rating.