Is Your Spouse a Workaholic?Tips to Keep Your Marriage Healthy if your spouse is a Workaholic. Use these tips to keep a happy marriage and live with your WORKAHOLIC spouse.
- Don’t be a Nag. Nagging or complaining will not work. Try using a positive tone when talking about what they missed because of work. Maybe a dinner with negative or the defensive tactics will kick in.
- Stop Enabling your spouse’s behavior as a workaholic. Do not change your times and delay meals or activities just because you “hope” they might be home by then. Be careful about interrupting your children’s typical bedtime trying to keep them up to see your spouse.
- Leave them be. Show them the consequences that come from working too much. Go on and take your children to the movies or to Disney. Even if it means leaving that spouse behind. Continue making memories with the important people in your life. Do not put your life on hold because they can’t take time off or refuse to take time off.
Work Work Work
- Find Activities that they love – you may not but it may get them to give up some of that priceless time to be with you and your family. This is not manipulative or controlling it is just a tactic to spend time with that important person – the workaholic. Find things they would have a hard time saying no to.
- The Workaholic has agreed to spend the day with you or even a few hours. Time to set some boundaries like turning off the phone, not reading emails or responding to text. Aske the to be PRESENT.
- Schedule routine Dr. Checkups. Workaholics typically end up very stressed out and it starts to be evident in their health.
- Find out if this workaholic situation is from within or caused by a boss that doesn’t give options or are dangling a carrot for the next promotion.
- If you can’t get your Workaholic spouse to budge. It may be time for Marriage Counseling. Your marriage and their relationship with their children can be in serious trouble and them not even realize it. Life is fine on their end.