- Do not eat and/or drink at your desk as it can leave residue and appear very unprofessional. Consider if someone sits their arm down and it picks up something you didn’t notice to clean your embarrassment. Many times we feel we are more productive by eating at our desk when in fact we would be much better off to walk away, take the few minute break and come back clear and ready to begin again. The other issue is leaving wrappers, cups and crumbs on the desk diminishing your professionalism.
- Keep your counters and desk free of spray bottles and cleaning supplies. You want to keep those items handy just out of sight. You will want to wipe off your desk, tables, computers etc to remove smudges to have that clean environment.
- Plan to recycle. You will need the correct bins depending on your cities’ regulations. Having the bins for trash and recycling help you stay on track with your strategy.
- Making sure the entrance or waiting area is picked up and inviting is a priceless measure. If you have staff, make that a requirement to include everyone. Ask them to treat it like it was THEIR business and would they want someone to come in and see their office in a mess…
- You may want to choose artificial plants versus real so they don’t shed and create a mess to be cleaned up regularly.
- You may need to rearrange the layout of the office to be more productive. Make sure when someone enters your office they are not seeing your back but facing you. Then you consider aesthetics. Is it eye appealing?
- Remember a piled desk does not make you look busy but unorganized. Find a filing system that works for you and as much as possible keep those things off your desk. A clear desk helps you focus more clearly on the task at hand. Go paperless when you can.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Let’s look at what it takes to create the power of a clean office. It doesn’t matter if your office is in-home or in a commercial location it is important to keep in clean and uncluttered. First of all if you are entertaining clients at your location you need to make sure your desk look professional. This will not be easy without a strategy or plan in place. Below are several tips to help you accomplish that clean uncluttered professional looking office.